Saturday, April 9, 2011

"Downton Abbey"

Whilst I have been re-adapting to American culture since my return from the UK - there is one aspect of British culture I cannot give up: historical dramas! This past week I watched all seven episodes of "Downton Abbey"which is a series about the wealthy Crawley family and the ongoings of their household (including the lives of the kitchen maids, footmen, butler, ladies in waiting, etc.). The series is set in turn-of-the-century England (during the reign of King George the V). There are three daughters in the Crawley family and I just could not get over how elegant they were dressed in every episode! I really think we should go back to dressing this way. I pulled out my watercolors and sketched a few dresses - and faces, for that matter.

Here's the link to the trailer for Downton Abbey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M3moEeErr8


The youngest daughter, Sibyl, in a smart blue hat.

One of the dresses worn by the oldest daughter, Mary, during Episode 1.

A black gown worn by Mary while she is mourning for the death of her cousin (and fiancée) who drowned in the Titanic incident. The expression on her face is unhappy - not because she is sad for her cousin's death - but because her character dislikes the color black.
My favorite of Mary's outfits: a high-waisted silver skirt, lavender blouse, and elegant set of pearls.
The middle daughter,Edith,who bears the unfortunate reputation of being the least attractive sister.

2 comments:

Katie said...

beautiful Jenna!

PS: we've been watching "Lark Rise to Candleford"--highly recommend

meg said...

you are very talented my dear cousin! Love keeping in touch with you by your blog!