Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Scone Posting

Today I tried baking scones for the very first time and, what do you know? My efforts were not a disaster! The scones taste delicious, although I wished they had "fluffed up" a bit more, like the ones you see in all the recipe books and in all the English bakeries.  I used a modified version of this recipe from "Joythebaker.com." I didn't have any dark chocolate and orange zest so I simply used what I had on hand - golden raisins.  Next time, however, I will undoubtedly try the dark chocolate and orange as suggested!






Here's the recipe:

Orange and Dark Chocolate Buttermilk Scones

makes four large or six small scones


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

2 teaspoons orange zest

2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter

1 large egg yolk

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold buttermilk

1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Place rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. I use my fingers to rub the butter and dry ingredients together. In another bowl, combine egg yolk and buttermilk and beat lightly with a fork. Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft dough. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Turn out onto a floured board and knead about 15 times. Roll or pat out into a 1-inch thickness. Cut into 4 large or 6 small squares. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F for 12-15 minutes. These are best when served immediately with butter and jam.




http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2011/01/orange-and-dark-chocolate-buttermilk-scones/

1 comment:

Katie said...

jenna - could you make these scones (with the dark chocolate) for our trip to Maine at the end of the month? yummers!